If you have old bread lying around and you don’t have much time on your hand, this traditional Serbian recipe for Popara is perfect for you.
Things to know about Popara Recipe
Popara is a dish made out of old bread, water, and cheese. Sounds like an unusual combination, but it is surprisingly tasty. Popara was a dish for poor people back in the old days because everyone had the ingredients necessary to make it.
That’s why bringing it out in front of your guests was a shame. Now it is almost forgotten. Only the elders know how to make it. The name comes from pouring boiling water over the bread.
Popara is a great dish for busy people because you can always toast the bread that you have, doesn’t matter how old it is (It shouldn’t be moldy, of course!), cook it in water, and add cheese.
My Grandmother’s Traditional Serbian Cooked Bread and Cheese. Authentic Recipe of Popara.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 6 slices Bread
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 150 grams (5.29 oz) Cottage Cheese
- 70 grams (2.47 oz) Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 300 ml (10.14 floz) Water Hot
- Cut the bread into bite-sized pieces and coat it with oil.
- Put it on the baking sheet and toast it in the oven at 100°C/212°F until golden brown.
- In a pot, layer half of the bread, cheese, and butter, then the rest of the bread. Season with salt.
- Pour boiling water over the bread and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- When it is done put the lid on the pot and let it cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Popara
- If you change the ingredient’s measurements, make sure that the ratio between the bread and the water is 1:2.
- If the bread absorbs all the water, just pour some more over it so there is more water than the bread.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?