Things to know about Toltottkaposzta Recipe
“Töltött Káposzta” is one of the most famous traditional dishes in Hungary; every single person who comes to Budapest knows that they need to try the famous stuffed cabbage leaves. Hungarian stuffed cabbage leaves are stuffed with a mixture of minced meat (pork), rice, onion, and many other seasonings. The rolls are placed in a large pot and slowly cooked. “Töltött Káposzta” is perfectly suited for any occasion and can be eaten all year long, usually it’s a perfect meal for a family weekend and it can be cooked outdoors.
Tasteful Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Leaves from Hungary. Authentic Recipe of Toltottkaposzta.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 10 pcs Sour Cabbage Leaf
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Sauerkraut – Pickled Cabbage Leaf
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Ground (Minced) Pork
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Sausage
- 1 pc Onion Small
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Pre-Cooked Rice
- 4 cups Water For the rice
- 5 pcs Bay Leaf
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Lard – Fatty Pork
- 1000 ml (33.81 floz) Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper Powder
- 2 pcs Egg
- 2 tbsp Smoked Sweet Paprika Powder
- Boil water in a saucepan. Add salt and rice. Simmer it on low heat; once the rice is ready, turn off the heat and set aside the rice to cool down.
- Separate the cabbage leaves, clean them and remove the middle "thick vein" of each leaf. Then chop the sauerkraut with a chef's knife into half; if they are too salty, rinse them with water.
- Chop the onions and garlic (half) and crush the other half of the garlic.
- For the filling. Mix the meat, rice, eggs, crushed garlic, and half of the chopped onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Before placing the filling on the cabbage leaves, make sure that your hands are wet (place 2-3 cabbage leaves aside and don't fill them); this way, the filling won't stick to your hands. Form small cylinders from the mixture (filling), and place them evenly on the cabbage leaves. Once you're done with setting the filling on the leaves, carefully roll them up and press both of their ends well so the filling won't fall out.
- Cut the sausage into larger pieces, grab a pan and place it on the stove with the lard, half of the chopped onions, and chopped garlic. Cook it for 2-3 minutes, then sprinkle with some sweet paprika powder (Hungarian).
- Place 2-3 cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pan and place the filled cabbage leaves on the top one by one, add the bay leaf, and ground cumin, also add the sauerkraut, then cover it with water and let it cook for 2-3 hours.
- Once it's well cooked, turn off the heat and serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?