Gado-Gado Khas Betawi is an Indonesian salad with a delicious twist. Fresh vegetables mixed with traditional peanut sauce are something you must try!
Things to know about Gado-Gado khas Betawi Recipe
Gado-Gado is an Indonesian Vegetable salad with a twist. This delicious vegetarian-friendly dish is a salad topped with the most amazing peanut sauce that will rock your world! This dish is perfect for planning a picnic and needs something simple and easy to make, healthy, and delicious.
Gado-Gado is a traditional Indonesian food, first created in Jakarta in the early 20th Century. Its name is a play in the local language, “digado,” which means “eaten without rice.” This dish is a common staple in many Indonesian Cities and has spawned a few regional variations, such as Pecel, Ketoprak, Karedok, Lotek, and many more.
The main star of the dish is the delicious, rich, and flavorful authentic peanut sauce that beautifully compliments the freshness of the blanched vegetables in the dish. It is one of the healthier dishes in the world of Indonesian cuisine.
Appetizing and Refreshing Traditional Vegetable Salad with Peanut Sauce from Indonesia. Authentic Recipe of Gado-Gado khas Betawi.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2 pcs Potato Medium
- 1 pc Carrot Large
- 8 leaves Lettuce
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Long Bean – Yardlong Bean – Asparagus Bean – Pea Bean – Long-Podded Cowpea – Chinese Long Bean – Snake Bean – Bodi – Bora
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Bean Sprout
- 1 head Cabbage
- 1 pc Indonesian Rice Cake – Lontong
- 1 board Tempeh
- 2 pcs Tofu – Bean Curd
- 2 pcs Egg
- 1500 ml (50.72 floz) Water
- 700 ml (23.67 floz) Coconut Milk Fresh
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Peanut
- 4 pcs Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce – Kecap Manis
- 1 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Tamarind Juice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 8 pcs Dried Red Chili Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp Roasted Shrimp Paste Indonesian
- 1 thumb Fresh Galangal – Kencur – Aromatic Ginger – Kaempferia Galanga – Sand Ginger – Cutcherry – Resurrection Lily Peeled, grated
Preparing the Vegetables
- Peel the skin off the potatoes and carrot with a vegetable peeler or knife.
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly to ensure no dirt remained on them.
- Dice both the carrot and potatoes into 2-3 centimeter (1.5 inches) cubes.
- Roughly slice the cabbage.
- Chop the long beans to 4-5 cm (1.5 to 2inches) in length.
- Slice the cucumbers into coin-shaped roughly 1 cm (1/2 an inch) thick.
- Prepare a medium pot and fill it with water, bring it to a boil.
- Take one cup of boiling water and soak the beansprouts with it, let it sit for a few minutes, and drain it.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until fully cooked, drain and put away.
- Boil the egg for around 7 minutes, drain, and let sit at room temperature.
- Blanch the cabbages and long beans (boiling for3-5 minutes, followed by a quick ice bath).
- Slice the lettuce roughly and set aside.
Tempeh and Tofu
- Into a bowl, add a few tablespoons of water along with a crushed clove of garlic and salt.
- Marinate the tempeh and tofu in the garlic and salt solution for a few minutes.
- Prepare a frying pan, fill it with vegetable oil and bring it to heat, around 175oC (350oF).
- Fry the tempeh and tofu until Golden Brown, drain it, and slice it into cubes.
- Wash the peanut and remove the nut from the skin.
- Into a frying pan or wok, fry the peanuts until brown. Drain the excess oil and let it sit to cool.
- After cooling, add the peanut to a food processor or blender, and blend it until smooth.
- Add the blended spice ingredients to a food processor and blend it until smooth.
- In a frying pan, preferably a non-stick pan, heat up the vegetable oil.
- Stir fry the blended spices and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant.
- Add the peanut paste, and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, sweet soy sauce, and salt into the pan. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- After boiling, add the tamarind juice and incorporate it well.
- Reduce the sauce until a sauce-like consistency, salt to taste.
Assembling the Gado-Gado
- In a plate, slice up a few slices of Indonesian Rice Cake (lontong), diced potatoes and carrot, tofu, tempeh, sliced hard-boiled eggs, and the rest of the vegetables.
- Pour the peanut sauce on top of the dish to your liking.
- The dish is ready to be enjoyed.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Gado-Gado Khas Betawi
- Other types of leafy greens, such as kale, spinach, and water spinach, can be used In the dish.
- You can use a mortar and pestle to grind the peanut instead of a food processor if you like a chunkier sauce.
- You can adjust the dish’s heat by adding or reducing the number of chili peppers used in this dish.
- You can save some time by preparing large batches of peanut sauce in advance, freezing it, and using it for later.
What to serve with Gado-Gado Khas Betawi?
The Gado-Gado is often enjoyed with shrimp crackers and crispy fried shallots.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?