Things to know about Palak Sabze Recipe
Afghans refer to all green vegetables as ‘sabze’ so sometimes this dish is simply called ‘Sabze’. But the specific name of Spinach is ‘Palak’. Palak is a favorite veggie all over central Asia. A popular dish ‘Sabze Challow’ meaning spinach stew with white rice, is cooked on new year’s eve. Although it is also cooked at home on regular basis. A small amount of lemon juice is added to keep the vibrant green color of spinach. Some people like to add meat to it, but we are sharing the simple authentic recipe of spinach stew. You can enjoy it with rice or Traditional Afghan bread; Naan is served with plain yogurt.
Delicious Afghan Traditional Spinach Stew. Authentic Recipe of Palak Sabze.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Spring Onion – Scallion – Green Onion Chopped/minced
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Spinach Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic Minced
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander Chopped
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1½ tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Take a deep pan, add oil and sauté the onion, cook until light brown.
- Add garlic, and cook until golden brown.
- Add fenugreek seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Then add spinach, spices, and lemon juice to it. Cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Add fresh coriander and let it simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Your spinach stew will be ready.
- Lemon juice is added to keep the vibrant green color.
- Fenugreek seeds are added for aroma, it is an optional step.
Sabzi Challow; Afghan traditional white rice served with spinach stew.
Serve with Traditional bread; Naan, traditional white rice; Challow, or with plain yogurt and fermented bread.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.