Curd Rice is a dish mixed with unsweetened yogurt popular in India, especially in Maharashtra. It is an easy and fast recipe for your lunch or dinner.
Things to know about Curd Rice Recipe
The Indian Traditional Curd Rice is a sour rice dish prepared with steamed rice and unsweetened yogurt. Curd rice is also called yogurt rice. The dish is popular in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Kerela, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and other South Indian states.
In different regions, the dish is called by different names. In Maharashtra, curd rice is called “Dahi Baat.” “Dahi” means “curd” in Hindi, and “Baat” means “rice” in a variety of languages. In Tamil Nadu, the dish is called “Thayir Saaadam.”
In Karnataka, it is called “Mosaranna.” The untempered version of the dish can be served at every meal. Though, it is usually served for lunch and dinner. The tempered version is served on formal occasions. Often accompanied by pickles, curd rice is a staple of South Indian Cuisine.
Savory Indian Traditional Curd Rice from Maharashtra. Authentic Recipe of Curd Rice.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 cup Rice
- 3 cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt
- ½ cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Carrot Grated
- 2 tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- 2 units Green Chili
- 1½ tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1 tsp Black Gram
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger Root Finely chopped
- 10 units Curry Leaf
- 2 units Dried Red Chili
- In a pressure cooker, add rice, water, and salt. Cook for 3 whistles.
- When the rice is cooked, mash it properly.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and let it cool.
- Add whisked yogurt and milk to the rice.
- Add grated carrots, chopped cilantro, and green chili.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Add black gram and cook until it changes color.
- Add ginger, dried red chili, and curry leaves.
- Transfer the tempering to the bowl of rice.
- Mix everything well.
- Refrigerate for some time until chilled then serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Curd Rice
- You can add fruits or nuts.
- For creamier curd rice, you can add some butter.
- Use fresh and cooled rice. Do not add curd until the rice is mashed well. Do not add cold yogurt to hot rice. Let the rice cool first.
What to serve with Curd Rice?
Serve with pickles or curry.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?